Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Little Mermaid

This is an Illustration based on the Fairy Tale "The Little Mermaid" in my vision.

As with all the other illustrations in this collection I'm doing my influence on the original story. Here I wanted to make the mermaid of a different species than what the typical do. Her hair refused to be any color other than blue so I had to oblige. I wanted to make the "Sea Witch" a fish because their are so many in the sea and they seem somewhat docile creatures. So to say they would seem trustworthy...

I kept this color pallet harshly restricted to blues and greens. It was one of the hardest things to do to be confined to not add in foreign colors to an established color key. The goal from the start with this piece was to Keep it very simple and not over detail anything. I hope it gives it the storybook illustration feel. I always hate when I have to loose my sketch lines in my paintings so it stayed for this one.

This story in particular has always held a soft spot in my heart because I was exposed to the cartoon based on the original story as a child. I believe it was done in Japan. It affected how I viewed fairy tales in conjunction to the real stories and "Disney" so to say. Anyways on to the next!

Painter
6 hours
© Jessa Sininger

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful image I love what you've done with the colour and light,it really feels like warm sunlight shining down into a pool of crystal clear sea water!The style is also very eye pleasing, I especially like her hair.

    I'm not sure if you want feed back on your work but I really like this so if you are here's a couple of things you could keep in mind to develop this style further:

    It might be a good idea to put a little bit more detail or texture on her tail flukes they just feel a little bit to simple and flat compared to the rest of her.A bit of highlight on the parts of the flukes turning away from us might help to just pop them out of that one tone.

    The other thing is with her hair you've done this really beautiful thing with the green highlights in the blue lines that makes it feel like the sun is shining through it but for the most part it's not actually describing the shape of the hair.With just a touch more attention to where the sun light should be hitting the hair according to the head and hair's shape I think those colours can really bring life into the curves and curls of her hair. Especially where they look like they're reaching out to the light.
    Anyway that's all, just some fussy little things.

    The witch being a fish is a nice idea, it's pretty clever and certainly different. I'm not sure how fish would go about casting spells mind and personally I prefer Ursula like characters but she is one of my favourites out of the disney baddies, even so a fish witch is still a pretty cool idea.

    All in all this is a really beautiful illustration and I absolutely love it =D!
    I can only say I hope this is a part of a series because I would love to see more of these little mermaid pictures <3 !

    ReplyDelete